Sunday, October 19, 2008

Momma Needs to Know

This is a poem I wrote and took to my Writer's League today. (It got the best reviews out of what I took.)

Momma Needs to Know
My children, come to Momma. There are things that I must know.
Why do shoes only disappear when it's time to go?
I want to know why you can't play in a dirty room?
And how can you miss all that stuff, with that big, old broom?
Why are babies allergic to the smell of my clean shirt?
And why are my dinners "passed" for the taste of garden dirt?
Who keeps eating all the soap to make it go so fast?
And why, of all who sleep round here, I am always last?
Why is mine the only cup from which the toddlers drink?
And who made the TP pyramid underneath the sink?
I really do not understand how a spider can be a pet,
Or why the milk is gone again, and the floor is always wet.
Can someone please explain to me how a hose gets on the roof?
Or why granola's in my bed? It's not a funny spoof!
Why does everything get blamed on those called "I don't know"?
And how come every time I look, you always seem to grow?
How can it always be so loud, so loud I can not hear?
Or why the walls are always smudged, and the windows never clear?
Just one more thing, my little ones, before I let you go.
Why is it, when you're gone from me, I always miss it so?

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Oh, I hope you had fun!!!!! :)

I liked your other poem, too, by the way!